Sunday, January 10, 2010

Newest Family Addition

Yesterday was a very exciting day for me! I went to Stella's and got to bring home a kitty. I have been looking forward to the day that we could have a cat in the house for a while now and it is finally here. Stella was nice enough to let me bring home this beautiful girl...
Her name is VZ and she is a solid white Maine Coon who also happens to be deaf (this does happen with solid white cats once and a while). She was born deaf so is very used to not hearing what goes on around her. She is very sweet and loves to cuddle. She is also very playful, but we have not gotten to see that side of her yet since she is still trying to adjust to her new home. Some people may have called the introduction in our home a failure, but since I have worked with many cats in the past and finding homes for adult cats I know it actually went very well!
She had 1 run in with Robin which lasted for about 10 seconds before I was able to get Robin into her crate. Robin was trying to smell VZ, but VZ decided that big black thing was really scary which caused her to jump straight up in the air. She then landed on the 3rd shelf of the bookcase and then jumped to the dining room table. Once she was on the table she calmed down pretty quickly. At that point I had already put Robin in the crate. So during the rest of the day Ben put Robin on her leash so that she could look at VZ, but not get too close and make VZ uncomfortable. By the evening we were able to take Robin off the leash and just remind her to not go any closer and VZ would just sit on the window ledge or in my lap and be fine.
Zak has been so good with her also. And VZ doesn't seem to be afraid of him which is also very good. We are teaching Zak to walk up to VZ and put his hand out for her to smell and then he can pet her. He is constantly coming up to me and saying "I nice kitty. No mean." so he is understanding the concept of being gentle very well.
This morning when we woke up and went downstairs we found VZ sound asleep inside of the carrier I had brought her home in....which is on top of the dining room table. The table seems to be her "safe spot" for now, but we will work on that as she becomes more comfortable in the house and around the dogs (and kids). I can't even explain how happy I am to have her in our house....
This morning we heard Zak wake up and start talking non-stop. When we opened the door to his bedroom we found him looking under the bed saying "Ry Ry? Where Ry Ry?" and he asked us this non-stop all morning. Finally, we called and let him talk to Ry Ry on the phone. Looks like we will be going to pick up Ryder sooner than later since Zak misses him (we do too). But, when Zak saw VZ he forgot about Ryder for a while!

0 comments: