Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Home For the Holidays (Week 1)

A friend of mine posted this blog to our chat group so I went to take a look. I have decided to try and follow it as closely as I can because I could use some help trying to clean and organize this house! She is going to put up "assignments" daily (6 days a week) to help guide you through cleaning and organizing your house (and yourself). I did not start it the day she started, but over the last week I have been working towards catching up with her blog. I think I will make a weekly post about the progress I have made instead of making daily updates (too boring for everyone to read I am sure!). Here is what I have done so far....

Pre-Assignment 1: I didn't write anything down, but made a mental list which is just as good in my book.

Pre-Assignment 2: I didn't take pictures because I actually didn't see this assignment before I started with some of the other ones. But I know what my house looks like so you will just have to believe me when I say there has been progress!

Pre-Assignment 3: I decided to skip this one...well kind of. I do keep a journal...my blog!

Pre-Assignment 4: Recently I have been getting rid of lots of things, but I have never counted. I don't think the number is what really matters though.

Day 1: I had already gone through the fridge, freezer, and pantry before Ben went away on Monday. We got rid of a ton of stuff and tried to organize all of it the best we could so that everything got used before it went bad. I also worked on cleaning off the kitchen table which always turns into a collect all place. The other day I even found the time and energy to clean the sliding glass door!

Day 2: Once again, I had recently just gone through all of my clothes and tired them on to see what I could/should keep or get rid of. I ended up with a large trash bag full of clothes to get rid of and now all of my clothes fit into my dresser and the closet! I am sure I could still get rid of some more, but I am happy with what I have done for now. It is not all nice and organized, but I hope to get in there soon and organize it all...hang certain things up and what not.

Day 3: This is something I try to do every year. I have not had a chance to get to it yet, but it is on the agenda for the next few days. Remember...our whole household has been sick with H1N1 and Ben has been away all week so I have not had a ton of time!

Day 4: This assignment will be done tomorrow! The boys are going to spend some time with Rich during the day and then spend the night so I will have some "me" time.

Day 5: I have slowly been collecting a bunch of stuff that we need to get rid of whether that means donating and taking to the dump. I have a few toys to give to Chelley for Madelyn, I have 2 big bags of clothes to get rid of (some mine, but most are from the boys), we have an old chest that we are getting rid of among other things. I also have tons of recycling to get rid of! This morning I went through most of the rooms in the house to pick up random trash and get rid of it.

So far I think I have been very productive given the current condition of everybody in the house along with Ben being away this whole week. It looks like I need to complete assignments for Day 3 and Day 4 and then I will be caught up with the whole thing.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Sounds like you're way ahead of the game! I was just happy that I was able to get my Halloween stuff down and start on the kitchen cabinets!

Annie said...

I start something like that three weeks ago, but I called it Christmas Agenda. I post every Thrusday the "assignments", so if you want to check, maybe it could help you.